The Technical Lead is responsible for coordinating the technical project team and provide broad technical and administrative oversight of the EPC contractor's engineering effort from current execution stage through completion of the Projects. Gains alignment with the PMT (Project Management Team) on project engineering needs, objectives, and requirements. Ensures that the EPC contractor's staffing processes and procedures are adequate to fulfill contract requirements. Develops and executes administrative routines that align with the project's goals, objectives, and procedures Communicates with the PMT and PP (Production Projects)
Functions on engineering activities, progress, and issues.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Provide technical engineering leadership and expertise to the New Shippers project through FEED completion, Detail Design, Execution Planning and Installation through Start-up
- Lead and maintain close liaison with project discipline leads, PMT, the Global Function
- Organization, and COTCO / TOTCO (client) to solve technical issues.
- Gain alignment with the PMT on project engineering needs, objectives, and requirements
- Participate in kick-off and other technical meetings with the EPC contractor, New Shippers companies and suppliers to ensure common understanding of engineering requirements, including deliverables
- Closely monitors EPC contractor performance and progress
- Review and endorse technical mechanical deliverables
- Assure that the design developed by the EPC contractor is safe, reliable and in compliance with the company management system (EMCAPS), project standards and relevant industry practice.
- Provide support to PMT to develop EMCAPS deliverables
- Supports the Execution Manager in developing weekly and the monthly progress report
- Coordinate owner and PMT design reviews to minimize disruption of the contractor's work
- Actively participate in project reviews including hazard identification and analysis, risk assessments, constructability and maintainability reviews, brownfield visits, etc.
- Serves as focal point to review, analyze, endorse and get proper approval for spec deviations.
- Review, get endorsement and authorize design alternative optimizations to optimize project cost and schedule
- Participate in the technical review of Request for Quotations (RFQ) packages and technical bid reviews.
- Cooperate with project review teams and post audit activities with respect to contract administration and subcontracting
- Arrange required review and appraisal for critical portions of the work
- Participate actively in the project's change management program
- Capture and communicate engineering and design lessons learned for the project
- Steward the EPC contractor's activities with respect to engineering execution including:
- Ensuring that the contractor staffs the project with adequate numbers of qualified (technical) personnel
- Ensuring that the contractor employs the appropriate design tools, including computer hardware and software
- Ensuring that the contractor adheres to all appropriate specifications and standards, providing proper interpretation when required.
- Ensuring that the contractor provides all contract documents, including those referred to in the job spec and that they meet the required level of quality
- Reinforcing the requirement for the contractor to control the work, i.e. accurate and timely progress measurement and reporting
- Advise the EPC contractor's engineering and design organization with respect to:
- Compliance with policies for prevention of information brokering and compliance with business standards guidelines
- Contractor's engineering and design procedures, processes, and deliverables
- Resolution of contractor's engineering claims, if any
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCES:
The position will be based at the Production Projects Offices in Houston and may require eventual business trips to site (Chad / Cameroon)
Broad and extensive knowledge of:
- Strong onshore facilities and pipeline design, construction, quality, and installation
- Brownfield type projects
- FEED experience
- Design standards, specifications, codes, and appropriate safety criteria
- Engineering administration, experience overseeing EPC contractor work
- Engineering quality surveillance practices, processes, and expectations with respect to project engineering
Bachelor Degree in an engineering discipline
- 15+ years of closely related professional experience in the Oil and Gas industry, individual should be at the senior technical professional level
- Construction / Commissioning experience
- Strong organizational, management, and technical judgment skills experience and use of standards is a plus
- Flow assurance knowledge is a plus
- Ability to adapt to tight deadlines, heavy workloads, and frequent changes in priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software programs, etc.
- Read, write, and speak fluent English, especially as it applies to technical and business communications.