Updated: Oct 30 2012
||Mechanical Engineering, Project Engineer, Valerus, Mustang, Caterpillar, Enerflex/Toromont, Regency/CDM, Cameron/Natco, Natural Gas Services, GE Oil and Gas, Compressor Systems, USA Compression, Ariel, AMEC Paragon
||Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
||Houston, TX, US
||Full Time Salaried Employee
Closed - No longer accepting applications
Summary: Provides required information to designers, project managers and customer management during all phases of equipment fabrication from proposal to operation of the equipment. Central responsibility is assisting in the development of a safe and cost effective design for manufacturing that meets the customer's requirements. Works under little to no supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures jobs are engineered and managed properly and drawings/BOM's are available to internal and external customers according to schedule. Supervises and develops engineer(s) in their section
- Assists application engineer in preparation of proposals, evaluates compressor performance to assure the best machinery application is met. Generates comments and exceptions to technical and commercial specs.
- Obtains and evaluates vendor quotations covering vendor inquiries and preparing lowest evaluated vendor costs.
- Monitors field problems and warranty claims, assesses field recommendations on unit design, and participates in implementing efficient corrections that reduce operational problems.
- Assures timely engineering effort is maintained by performing project engineering functions including vendor inquiry preparation, vendor bid analysis and vendor selection, prepare process and auxiliary system Process flow diagrams, selects all hardware for each system including valves, instruments and mechanical equipment, research vendor catalogs for lowest cost alternatives, selects piping sizes for all systems, checks ASME code calculations for process pressure vessels, construct project bills of material, evaluates customer return drawings for technical and commercial content additions
- Assists field salesman directly.
- Coordinates all aspects of technical content changes during unit design/fabrication and supports project management for revised cost estimate
- Confers with manufacturing and design to prepare design modifications as required.
- Performs research and analyses of data such as application engineering proposal, design specifications, drawings, industry codes and equipment manuals to determine feasibility of design or application of equipment
- Complies with Exterran Engineering Standards
- Performs engineering calculations to size , piping, valves and auxiliary systems to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications
- Ensures project-engineering work is completed accurately and on schedule
- Development of bills of material and shop notes meeting the customer's requirements and the specific requirements of the order in compliance with accepted practices and applicable industry codes
- Coordinates with designers to develop general arrangement and assembly drawings for other departments and the customer. Works with the shop to meet their assembly and shipping requirements for each unit
- Provides regular updates of engineering status, drawings, BOMs
- Trains and mentors other engineers
- Will occasionally travel to customer locations
- Attend technical training as required by the job
- Participation on special projects as assigned
- Perform shop walks to ensure production meets design requirements during fabrication
- Works on packages with all levels of complexity, onshore and offshore systems using sweet or sour gas, comprehensive customer specification and are of a high profile nature
- Interface with 3rd party inspection and engineering firms on selective projects
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university, preferably in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Eight to eleven years related experience and/or training
- Experience with compressor packaging design, skid design, ASME - section VIII pressure vessel design
- Knowledge of piping and pipe schedules, flanges and fittings
- Experience with pipe stress analysis
- Knowledge of internal combustion engines, electric motor drives and/or separable compressors is a plus
- Understanding of acoustical theory and torsional vibration analysis
- Experience with ERP systems
- Should be able to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Standard requirements. Bending, squatting, climbing, stooping, twisting and reaching will all be required occasionally in this position
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Lifting 10 pounds maximum with occasional lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- May be required to work at heights of up to 25 feet
- Must meet all OSHA regulations and must wear all required PPE when in the shop environment.
This Position Is Closed to New Applicants
This position is no longer open for new applications. Either the position has expired or was removed because it was filled.
However, there are thousands of other great jobs to be found on Rigzone.
Similar Jobs Currently Available