Updated: Jul 6 2012
||Accounting or Finance, SEC, GAAP
||Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
||Houston, TX, US
Closed - No longer accepting applications
Chief Accounting Officer
Our client is a recently established company that will both build and operate land rigs in North America. Its aggressive growth strategy has resulted in the need to build a first-class accounting department with a focus on controls, reporting, tax, cash management and compliance. The company intends to continue the building process by recruiting a highly-talented Chief Accounting Officer who will then build the department. The new Chief Accounting Officer will be responsible for significantly enhancing accounting and SEC financial reporting and working with the Chief Financial Officer to prepare for a potential public offering.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Accounting Officer will ensure the soundness of the company's financial structure by planning and directing all financial accounting activities, as well as ensuring proper control procedures are in place to adequately steward the firm's finances. The Chief Accounting Officer will advise the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and the Executive Team on financial performance, key financial metrics and the effect of issues/regulations on strategies, objectives and financial statements presentation. The Chief Accounting Officer will manage all SEC filings and reporting responsibilities, including implementing systems and processes to maintain SOX 404 compliance. The Chief Accounting Officer will assist in the preparation of budgets, forecasts, and Board of Directors materials.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Chief Accounting Officer will have direct responsibility for the following functions:
• Provide leadership, as an individual contributor and manager, for all financial and managerial accounting, compliance and risk management activities.
• Oversee accounting operations including adequacy of internal controls for all operations; design and implement financial information systems; and seek ways to improve financial reporting and controls.
• Oversee internal financial and tax reporting.
• Maintain and update internal accounting calendar, including reporting deadlines and other pertinent time sensitive deadlines.
• Direct the preparation of internal financial statements and related analyses for use by the senior management team.
• Oversee the preparation of internal and external financial reports, including monthly, quarterly and annual financial operating reports, as well as analyses of key executive and functional measures.
• Establish the procedures and protocols for the accounting function including selecting and implementing accounting systems/software.
• Maintain responsibility for all financial regulatory requirements and relationships including liaison with outside auditors. Stay abreast of regulatory and accounting pronouncements that will affect the company's financial statements and position.
Tax Planning and Reporting:
• Oversee and collaborate with the firm's internal and external tax and legal experts on tax planning, reporting and tax liability functions, including a range of tax-related issues such as tax strategy, unrelated business taxable income, depletion, intangible drilling costs, depreciation, and allocation of purchase price for acquisitions and divestitures and recapture transactions.
• Collaborate with executive management to identify, implement and continually improve the corporate performance measures.
• Perform or lead other special projects as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer or Chief Financial Officer.
• Establish a sound organization plan with long and short-range goals. When necessary, delegate appropriate activities, responsibilities and authorities to subordinates, ensuring there is clear definition and understanding.
• Keep the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Executive Officer, the Executive Management Team, and other key personnel informed of financial conditions, activities and trends.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in accounting, tax or finance is required, and a Master's degree is highly preferred. CPA certification is also required. The Chief Accounting Officer will have a minimum of 15 years of experience in accounting, financial reporting, audit and taxation. This individual's career will likely have started either with a major public accounting firm or publicly-held drilling contractor or other oilfield equipment and service company. This individual's extensive financial background will include knowledge of financial and tax regulations, SEC public reporting experience, statement preparation, financial systems, cost controls, forecast and budgeting, and SOX 404 compliance. In addition, having experience with an initial public offering would be a significant plus.
The Chief Accounting Officer must be a proactive and detail-oriented individual capable of monitoring the financial systems and controls, and making the necessary changes to upgrade systems, policies and procedures. This will include formulating and recommending policies and reporting on financial results. The successful candidate must be a self-starter with the ability, drive, and discipline to achieve objectives and bring projects to fruition.
The Chief Accounting Officer must be able to evaluate opportunities with bottom-line oriented thinking and be capable of increasing company performance and implementing strategic decisions. The successful candidate will have a reputation for integrity, maturity and sound business judgment; possess well-developed written and oral communication skills; and be an individual contributor, as well as a team-player. Additionally, this individual will possess the initiative and creativity to plan, organize, control and safeguard the company's financial assets.
This Position Is Closed to New Applicants
This position is no longer open for new applications. Either the position has expired or was removed because it was filled.
However, there are thousands of other great jobs to be found on Rigzone.
Similar Jobs Currently Available