• Monitors daily rig operations and acts as liaison between offshore and based drilling team to ensure all well objectives are clearly understood.
• Provides rig site supervision or assistance during critical operations such as well control situations. Works closely with Drilling Representatives to handle routine operations not requiring intervention by the Drilling Superintendent.
• Reviews rig site specific procedures on a daily basis, which are developed at the rig site by the drilling representatives and engineers, which expand on the level of detail, provided for in the drilling program. These are the daily specific procedures, which spell out the fine detail, step by step of the forward planned operations. (For example the make up of the bottom hole assembly, etc.). Reviews rig site daily action plans daily. Daily action plans itemize action items, which need to be carried out over the next few days, or hole interval, with each action item clearly defined, responsible parties assigned and a certification and or definition of readiness indicated. Reviews rig site contingency plans daily. These are the plans for any anticipated hazards & surprises which have been brainstormed and contingencies developed, which will be implemented if necessary. Reviews daily rig site time line projections. These are the projections of specific operations timelines projected through the end of the well, forthcoming week, or whatever time period is appropriate. Champions the utilization of a technical limits process tool for same as established by the Knowledge & Technology Management Coordinator.
• Provides assistance on bit hydraulics calculations and jar placement. Directs Drilling Representative on cement pumping schedules and placement techniques. Reviews DST designs and provide guidance on running procedures.
• Assists Drilling Superintendent in daily supervision of well construction operations via; Keeping the operations group focused on drilling's goals, metrics, etc., Relieving the Drilling Superintendent when activity requires their presence elsewhere or on a rig, Assuming the Drilling Superintendent's duties when required.
• Actively supports and understands the objectives of Operational Excellence and participates in the implementation of action plans by: Ensuring that all drilling activities and drilling facilities meet or exceed applicable laws, regulations, and policies, Ensuring facilities, processes, and procedures are safe and that personnel, including contractors, have the training and equipment to respond to an environmental and/or safety event, Demonstrating environmental consciousness through optimizing resources, preventing pollution, minimizing waste and conserving energy, Interfacing with service company personnel to ensure critical well work services equipment and personnel requirements are identified and met.
• Participates in rig site safety inspections and monitoring programs.
• Identifies and implements well operation performance improvement opportunities. Actively supports the Knowledge & Technology Management Coordinator in the tracking of performance and operational improvements via the Knowledge Management & Technical Limits processes and champions similar efforts on the part of all rig site personnel.
• Aggressively contributes to post well performance reviews (look back meetings) and contributes to lessons learned documentation in a cooperative effort with Lagos and Houston based personnel to continually look for changes in operations that will lead to additional cost efficiencies and improved processes.
• Provides guidance to technicians on the monitoring of daily DISWIN inputs for accuracy. Provides guidance to Office Drilling Engineers and Drilling Representatives on proper coding of activity time, trouble time and unscheduled events. Assures project teams are provided with daily diswin reports including: Daily Drilling, Daily Cost Control, Daily Mud, Directional Survey. Responsible for assuring distribution of approved daily reports internally and externally.
• Provides input into the final well report and special projects as required. Assists Knowledge & Technology Management Coordinator with document management to ensure all lessons learned are captured. Provides guidance to technicians on assuring any drilling and project documents sent out and or received are correctly filed on the common data base.
• Monitors availability of equipment and resources to ensure that the rig will not be shut down. Helps to coordinate efforts of drilling materials movement and service provider contacts as directed by the Sr Drilling Superintendent.
• Actively supports and promotes Diversity in all facets of the work group.
• Work with Materials & Logistics Coordinators and Drilling Representatives to assist material requirements and logistical support between Shorebase and the rig. Verifies that all equipment, long lead time and special items ordered actually meet operational requirements. Identifies short falls and work with Drilling Superintendent, service providers and Supply Chain Management to remedy the situation.
• Coordinates with the drilling contractor, production operations, logistics, security, public affairs, and survey personnel to; confirm adequate PA & security planning has been performed prior to and during any rig move as appropriate.
• Develops and packages the offshore drilling program (detailed procedural steps) for each well construction project. Incorporates lessons learned from previous wells, seeks input from all Drilling Personnel to optimize programs for maximum efficiency and optimal costs. Ensures well designs and procedures are consistent with sound environmental policy, company guidelines, and meet all existing regulatory requirements.
• Incorporates pore pressure prediction and evaluation of all shallow hazards in well design, casing design, mud program and directional well planning.
• Develops recommended bit programs for all wells. Utilizes the bit data base for bit selection. Performs statistical analyses of the historical hydraulics parameters utilized in conjunction with hydraulics recommendations
• Provides office contractor interface for all daily offshore planned rig activities such as: Coordinating optimum directional well planning and BHA design with the Directional Drilling Coordinator to ensure geological objectives are achieved, Working closely with IDD personnel to ensure all operational aspects of the directional program is considered, Working with cementing Service Company on all cement slurry designs and tests, Liaise with DTC cementing group on special cementing problems, Consulting with service company Completion & DST Specialists on equipment selection and running procedures for DST operations, Assuring adequate boats are in place for spud materials and rig moves.
Key Job Responsibilities:
• Well Execution Supervision
• Drilling Program / Procedures Development
• Well Construction Equipment, Logistics & Resources Management
• Documentation Assurance
• Champion Operational Excellence - (HSE, Reliability & Efficiency)
• Management Of Service Contractor Activities Related To Well Execution
• Liaison For Well Objectives Assurance