Rowan Companies, Inc.
Updated: May 14 2012
||Electrical Engineering, IT - Networking & Telecom, Electronic Technology, CCNA or CCNP
||Houston, TX, US
Closed - No longer accepting applications
Network Rig Communications Engineer will be responsible for management and maintenance of the companies' Rig LAN/WAN network environment. It will include the participation in and oversight of the daily upkeep and administration of the companies' rig network infrastructure. This position will also be responsible for the design, planning, implementation and maintenance of the companies' rig network infrastructure and architecture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Proactively monitor the VSAT connectivity and work with various team and vendors to resolve network issues promptly.
• Ensure Rig Network standards, guidelines and procedures are compliant with frequent auditing.
• Work with infrastructure team to troubleshoot any voice issues like 5 digit dialing to the rigs or voicemail problems.
• Review trend reports to evaluate where the bandwidth is being consumed and determine if rig bandwidth needs to be upgraded or eliminate unnecessary traffic.
• Investigate rig outages, high latency, and high utilization with the VSAT provider to get them up on the satellite in optimal fashion. The person will learn how to read Orion network performance statistics.
• Weekly meetings with each VSAT provider to present feedback of any problems and issues we have on the rigs regarding satellite quality and to ensure problems get resolved in a timely manner.
• Ensure the integrity and compliance of the Rig's network during new Rig deployments or moves.
• Responsible for daily operations of rig network engineering maintenance task with a proactive approach in solving problems.
• Required to go offshore in all regions. (United Kingdom, Middle East, South East Asia, Gulf of Mexico).
• Education and Experience:
- Electronic Technology / Electrical Engineering degree preferred;
- 4+ years network engineering with both routing and switching
- CCNA or CCNP
- Understanding of VSAT technology
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding and troubleshooting VOIP issues over VSAT
- Preferred understanding of PCN network on the rigs.
- Preferred experience with Orion and other network monitoring tools.
- Riverbed Steelhead administration and troubleshooting.
- Be willing and able to travel to Rigs that require BOSIET and other certifications.
- Be willing and able to be on call for emergencies.
This position requires the capability to perform medium work. Medium work is defined as: lifting a maximum of 50 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Special note: Certain operational conditions or emergencies could require lifting loads weighing 100 lbs. or more.
As a general rule, the nature of field-based work will require personnel to be able to perform certain physically demanding tasks
This Position Is Closed to New Applicants
This position is no longer open for new applications. Either the position has expired or was removed because it was filled.
However, there are thousands of other great jobs to be found on Rigzone.
Similar Jobs Currently Available