Provide general marine guidance and risk management support to the Business Units including specialized dynamic positioning operational support to the Company's DP column-stabilized and drillship MODU fleet. Also includes marine guidance for moored and jack up MODUS. . Additional responsibilities will include supporting various activities of the Asset Management, Engineering, Projects and Safety Health Environment Departments to ensure rigs meet all required regulatory and corporate requirements. The Specialist - Marine / DP will assist with development, implementation, and maintenance of corporate marine standards, procedures, and guidelines. Position will also provide support with review and oversight of Classification Society requirements, Flag and coastal state requirements, Customer DP Trials, FMEA studies, review of the training and competency levels of DP personnel, and support Engineering and Project groups pertaining to DP system upgrades and modifications. Although this is a Houston opening, you will need to travel to rigs to conduct marine inspections, carry out training, audits and investigate marine related accidents or incidents as required.
Minimum of seven years of experience in DP MODU operations, with at least three years in a Deck or Engine Department management position. Experience with moored semisubmersible and / or jack-up marine operations is a plus. Previous office based marine support / management experience to be taken into consideration.
Education, Training, Licenses and/or Certifications
- Unlimited STCW II/2 or III/2 license preferred.
- Nautical Institute unlimited DP Operator certificate or equivalent required.
- Maritime academy and/or Bachelor's degree from accredited college, university, preferred
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing guidance and measuring compliance with respect to station keeping, safe navigation, rig mobilizations, mooring operations, collision avoidance, marine operations, general safety and pollution prevention, vessel stability, and Class, Flag, IMO, and regulatory compliance.
- Consult with Operations to ensure key marine personnel meet the company's marine competency standards and are competent to carry out their duties.
- Responsible for implementation of bridge management protocols and ensure compliance to facilitate safe operations between key marine personnel and vessel activities.
- Responsible for development, implementation, and administration of company marine/DP policies, procedures, guidelines
- Consult with Operations for development of standing orders, rig, and site specific operational guidelines.
- Responsible to attend/conduct/review regularly scheduled audits of existing marine procedures, logs and marine equipment to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Responsible to assist BU operations with oversight and / or attendance to DP trials as requested
- Consult the Business Units to provide technical support and guidance for marine operations ensuring the safety of the crew, equipment and the protection of the marine environment.
- Consult the Operations, Asset Management, Engineering, Projects, and SHE organizations on matters related to maintaining the integrity of marine systems.
- Responsible to provide BU support with liaising / organizing meetings and inspections with regulatory bodies, government agencies, client representatives and marine surveyors as appropriate.
- Consult with Operations, Asset Management and Projects to attend/conduct/review vessel inspections and audits to confirm compliance with MODU Code (SOLAS as applicable), MARPOL, STCW, ILO Conventions, IMO resolution A891(21), applicable IMCA guidelines and applicable industry codes. Verify that any corrective action is agreed and implemented within the required timescales.
- Participate in incident investigations and verify that investigations are carried out effectively.
- Participate in meeting Company's ISM requirements and training
- Manage special projects as assigned by Management.
- Responsible to maintain current knowledge of marine industry standards, practices and methodologies as well as Class, IMO and regulatory requirements.
- Participate in marine industry forums, committees, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To be considered an applicant, you must apply directly to our company website.