Talisman Energy Inc. is a global, diversified, upstream oil and gas company, headquartered in Canada. Talisman's three main operating areas are North America, the North Sea and Southeast Asia. The Company also has a portfolio of international exploration opportunities. Talisman is committed to conducting business safely, in a socially and environmentally responsible manner, and is included in the Dow Jones Sustainability (North America) Index. Talisman is listed on the Toronto and New York Stock Exchanges under the symbol TLM. Please visit our website at www.talisman-energy.com.
Job Title: Corporate Affairs Advisor, Kurdistan
Req ID: 7261
Location: Sulay, Kurdish Region of Iraq
Employment Type: Contract
Closing Date: May 4, 2012
The incumbent will support Talisman's operations in Kurdistan by working with the three local Kurdish Corporate Affairs Specialists to develop and execute effective community relations program, and by participating in social, political and reputational risk identification and management. The position will involve developing the local CA Specialists including transferring conflict management and negotiation skills to them. This CA Advisor will also work with contractors and local Talisman staff to promote compliance with Talisman's ethical business conduct and human rights policies.
The incumbent will be supported by the Community and Governmental Affairs Manager, the Country Manager and field based local staff.
- Provide Corporate Affairs leadership within the Kurdistan CA team.
- Assist in identifying, assessing, monitoring and mitigating the local political landscape for potential impacts on operations, and other social, political, reputational risks related to Talisman's current and future operations.
- Work with local and regional levels of governments to move Talisman's long and short term interests forward.
- Work with Talisman's Kurdistan team and contractors to ensure that local benefits from Talisman's operations are given appropriate consideration.
- Work with Talisman's Kurdistan team and contractors to promote Talisman's ethical business conduct and human rights policies.
- Work closely with Talisman's Kurdish Corporate Affairs Specialists to provide them with support and training.
- Assist in deescalating and resolving standoff matters between stakeholders and TLM by helping find "win-win" solutions.
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of community investment projects.
- Be a good will ambassador to Talisman's local stakeholders.
- Assist in developing higher education opportunities within Kurdistan.
- Assist in the implementation of new software intended to improve the way stakeholder interaction information is recorded.
- Assist in organizing or updating social impact assessments and/or baseline community studies.
- Support Talisman's Kurdish Corporate Affairs Specialists in negotiating appropriate permissions, such as land access and compensation.
- Act as a resource on community relations and cultural awareness matters to Talisman Kurdistan team and contractors.
- A university degree
- Corporate affairs experience or other experience working with communities
- Conflict resolution experience
- Negotiating experience
- Oil and gas industry experience
- Experience working with government agencies and representatives
- Out of Canada working experience/experience
- Experience in stakeholder mapping
- Volunteering experience
- Fluency in English.
- Good time management skills
- Experiences training others
- Good communication skills
- Copious amounts of patience
- Sensitivity to other cultures
- Strong people skills
- Leadership skills
- Only candidates who are legally permitted to work in Iraq will be considered
By applying for this position, you consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of the personal information provided during the application and selection process.
Employment Type: CONTRACT