The Rotating Equipment Engineer is accountable for overall machinery reliability for specific production units and plays a role in plant-wide reliability as well as responsibility for balancing cost and risk to achieve optimum run length and life of machinery. The Rotating Equipment Engineer also plays a vital role in the development of key performance metrics include machinery related production losses, environmental events, pump meantime between repair, and successful vital equipment repair.
Specific job functions include:
• Provides machinery technical support to specific production units and has broader accountabilities as well.
• Together with Machinery Inspectors, is involved in day-to-day system failure analysis and problem solving. These issues are often initially identified as machinery problems but may involve complex systems evaluations.
• Analysis and solutions extend into other technologies as well as unit operation and/or maintenance.
• Focus on long-term objectives such as eliminating repeat failures, learning from failures (causal learning techniques).
• Identifying threats to machinery reliability.
• Forecasting Capital needs.
• Developing machinery turnaround work scope.
• Conducting risk assessments, and documenting change.
This position requires identification, development, and/or application of successful practices in machinery design, maintenance,and operation within Shell, among our peers and competitors,and among our suppliers.
The successful candidate will have familiarity with some number of the specific technologies related to machinery, e.g. , fluid dynamics, stress analysis, evaluation of load carrying limits, machine component design, and thermodynamic performance. The individual need not necessarily be able to perform the calculation or analyses. However, the individual must be able to identify and hire those with the appropriate skills and have sufficient skill to review the results obtained.
The Rotating Equipment Engineer must also interface with and manage vendors and/or outside consultants in acquisition of hardware or technical support.
Other key activities include: Machinery focal point and Technical reviewer for Management of Change.
• Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Master's preferred.
• Minimum five (5) years experience as a Rotating Equipment Engineer in a live process environment, oil and gas refining experience preferred.
• Must have a demonstrated understanding of national and local codes, and standards. (i.e. API, ASME, ASNT, ANSI standards in relation to all areas of machinery inspection and repair).
• Experience in the troubleshooting and repair of Centrifugal & Reciprocating. Compressors, Steam Turbines, Gears, Mechanical Seals & flush plans, ANSI / API Pumps is preferred.
Knowledge or Experience in the following areas is desirable:
• Machinery Condition Monitoring including vibration analysis.
• Stress Analysis.
• Hydraulic Evaluations.
• Machinery Troubleshooting.
• Performance monitoring of equipment.
• Causal Learning Techniques.
• Lean (Waste Elimination) Techniques.
Highly effective people skills with demonstrated ability to work on teams and with diverse work-groups including: craft-persons, vendors and various engineering disciplines.
• Troubleshooting and analytical skills
• Ability to evaluate systems
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
• Demonstrated understanding of the Change Management process and HS&E initiatives.
• Ability to operate independently with minimum guidance and set priorities tasks in alignment with operations needs.
• Must have the appropriate skill to "sell" their work.
• Causal Learning tools and techniques.
• Managing repair projects for machinery and components.
• Openness to new ideas and capacity to evaluate the practical implementation of such ideas.
• Strong interface management skills (or willing to develop).
• Ability to align and adapt global initiatives to the scope he/she manages.
The Shell Group offers an outstanding benefits package. No phone inquiries will be accepted.
Employment Type: PERMANENT