Updated: Nov 1 2011
||Dynamic Position Officer
Closed - No longer accepting applications
Major Areas of Responsibility Include:
Operating the automated and fixed station-keeping system of the rig. Coordinate the move on or off location, starting or securing the Dynamic Positioning (DP) Systems as directed by the Senior DPO. Monitor the DP System and its associated equipment and instrumentation and operate the manual DP controls if necessary to maintain the desired position of the unit over the well during drilling operations. Communicate with the Captain during inclement weather conditions to combine the DP system operation with standard propulsion and/or anchored means of station keeping to ensure the desired position of the unit is maintained.
Minimum Education and Skills Requirement:
- Operate dynamic positioning (DP) equipment
- Maintain logbook of all position keeping equipment and relevant engine room equipment.
- Advise the Senior DPO, Chief Mate or Master of potential position loss.
- Ensure that all defects and anomalies are reported to the Sr. DPO, Chief Mate or Master and relevant department heads.
- Maintain records of these and ensure they are corrected adequately.
- Assist with the operation of the ballast control system where applicable.
- Operate and understand fire main, deluge, drill water system, ESD system and fire and gas system.
- Monitor that the rig stays in stable condition and at the correct draft and trim.
- Monitor fire and gas alarms and signals and take appropriate action.
- Monitor all Navigation Bridge alarms including DP Systems, VMS and fire and gas alarms. Prioritize alarm response as necessary to maintain DP system operability by calling for technical assistance or additional DP room help.
- Periodically visit the drill floor for familiarization with current rig personnel and operations and assist as directed by Senior DPO with rig projects and maintenance.
- Completion of company ISM familiarization materials.
- Assist with running hydrophones and subsea beacons.
- Liaise with the deck crew working with them as required; ie Workboat Operations
- Assist Chief Mate and Master with deck operations as directed.
- Ensure there is adequate power and reserves of power for the maintenance of position and operations - give immediate attention to any problems.
- Operate the vessel's radio as needed - operate vessel's radars as needed. Maintain necessary log book entries. Perform emergency duties and responsibilities as stated on the Station Bill, Emergency Response Manual and DP Emergency Response plan.
- Monitor Work boat operations with radios and cameras where available.
- Minimum education of a specialized or technical knowledge requiring formal training beyond high school is required. Minimum of a
- Third Mates License.
- Minimum 3-5 years in the Maritime Industry with progressively responsible experience.
- Communication skills require the ability to provide explanation of very complex or technical matters to people with little or no background in the area of discussion.
- Writing skills require ability to write text designed to communicate technical information.
- Interpersonal skills require the ability to deal with discontented, argumentative, and emotional crew members in irrational or illogical personal situations.
- In emergency situations the DPO/ Third Mate holds a position on the ship's Emergency Station Bill. Must perform requirements of Emergency Station BIll for both drills and actual emergencies to include fire, flooding, man overboard, abandon ship, medical and spill response.
- Play an active part in the weekly meeting and all other Company safety management systems.
- Ensure new arrivals recieve a DP briefing and induction
- Ensure a high standard of hygiene and housekeeping is maintained onboard the rig.
- Assist the Master in all emergency situations and emergency protection responses.
- Assist the Master in coordinating weekly emergency drills along with monitoring and evaluation of the deck crew responses.
- Assist in reviewing and updating the vessel's safety case in consultation with vessell and shore-based management.
This Position Is Closed to New Applicants
This position is no longer open for new applications. Either the position has expired or was removed because it was filled.
However, there are thousands of other great jobs to be found on Rigzone.
Similar Jobs Currently Available